Answer this question: Is keeping Orca Whales in a tank humane? An animal that in the wild swims miles a day and lives it’s entire lifetime in a family pod?
Vanity Fair described ‘Blackfish’ as “A mesmerizing psychological thriller”.
Perhaps this is to intrigue more of the general public or maybe Vanity Fair was afraid of being sued by the Blackstone Group, the investment firm that owns Sea World.
If Vanity Fair had said, “Blackfish reveals the horrors endured by the killer whales of Sea World,” would some ninny Sea World spokeswoman explained that the animals are ‘happy’?
Kudos to Blackfish for being the first feature documentary addressing the decay and abuse of Orca whales in captivity, specifically at Sea World.
However, what is the call to action at the end of viewing the pain and suffering?
I wanted to see Blackfish harnessing the power of viewers perhaps drawing people to a specific website. While there are multiple ‘Set Orcas at Sea World Free’ campaigns, they are not united enough to contribute upheaval.
UPDATE: It is incredibly comforting to see the ‘Blackfish Effect’ uniting and that both Netflix and CNN continue to air Blackfish.
Peta has a good one:
Blackstone Group is more than welcome to operate as a ‘theme park’ but NOT at the expense of killer whales like Tilikum being used as a sperm bank and kept in fish bowls. The calves born in the Sea World program are often separated from their mothers. Is this ‘humane’?
Sea World cannot claim their role in ‘conservation’ when the animals are performing on behalf of bank rolls and maintained in an an artificial environment that could never be healthy.
HOW TO BRING DOWN SEA WORLD:
1. Boycott Sea World – The numbers of attendance MUST drop. Educate yourself and others.
2. Sea World targets Teachers and Youth – Educate your students, they are never too young to learn! For God’s sake educate teachers and Parents!
3. SOUTHWEST is a Sea World Partner – Petition SOUTHWEST to cut ties to Sea World, The easiest partner target.
4. Coca Cola is a Sea World Partner (This is a tough one because they supply their product to Sea World).
5. Panama Jack is a Sea World Partner – Do NOT buy their products.
6. Emmy award? Sea World claims they have an ‘Emmy Award winning DVD’. Who issued that?
Weaken the system that strengthens Sea World to make the change so Orca Whales are no longer living out their lives in a bathtub.
Jes McKay Gilmore